Squats have their place in strength training, but there are plenty of other butt exercises out there! Mix up your routine, and try out the following moves that tone and lift your derrière. Who knows? You might say “so long” to squats (for now) and find a new favorite exercise in the bunch.
Similar to yoga’s Warrior 3, this exercise fires up your core by challenging your balance. As you move in and out of the pose, you will be working the back of your body too.
- Stand with all your weight in your left foot, abs engaged and chest lifted.
- Reach your torso forward as you lift your right leg behind you. Reach your arms out in front of you for balance as your torso and leg come parallel to the floor.
- Hold this position for a moment, and reach through your right heel to engage the back of the right leg.
- Moving in one piece, lower your right leg toward the floor as you return to standing upright, resting the right foot lightly on the ground. This completes one rep.
- Do 15 reps before switching sides.
Seriously effective for toning the entire back of your body, deadlifts are a must-do move.
- Stand holding a pair of medium-weight dumbbells in each hand, arms at your sides, with your knees slightly bent.
- Keeping your arms straight and knees slightly bent, slowly bend at your hip joint, not your waist, and lower the weights as far as possible without rounding your back, which should remain straight. Looking forward, not at the ground, will help you avoid rounding your back. Keep the weights close to, almost touching, your legs.
- Squeeze your glutes to slowly pull yourself up. Be sure not to use your back or round your spine!
- Do three sets of 12 reps.
We love this backside move that works the hamstrings, too.
- Lie on your back, and place your hands on the floor for stability as you bend one leg and lift the other leg off the ground.
- Pressing your heel into the floor, lift your pelvis up, keeping your body in a stiff bridge position.
- Slowly lower your body to the floor and repeat three sets of 15 reps on each side.